In a mobile society filled with social media and instant communication, a good reputation can be hard to maintain. Every business makes mistakes, whether it’s an employee, an unhappy customer or just a bad decision – it’s unavoidable. In the digital age, those mistakes can gain traction online and have long lasting consequences.
If you’re suffering from some bad online PR, there are five digital marketing activities that can be done to counteract bad press:
- Don’t click on a bad link! We know how tempting it is to read anything written about your company online, but if it’s bad – resist temptation and don’t click on it! The more you and others click on this link, the more relevant it becomes to search engines. Google and other search engines’ algorithms rank search results which are popular, so stop clicking and start producing new stories to provide search engine bots with newer and more relevant content.
- Produce digital PR. Counteract your bad PR with some good PR! Create your own new and relevant stories – they can be about anything from a new recruit, deal or product offering. Just get your stories out there and provide search engines with more up-to-date content.
- Get social. If you don’t already have social media profiles, set these up. If you have them and don’t use them frequently, start using them! Being active on social media will give your brand a stronger online presence, and if you do it well, your social media profiles will start to appear on the first page of search engine results when a user searches for your brand name. Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are obvious choices, but also make sure you have Google Plus – since it is a Google property, this will always rank highly on Google.
- Acquire domains. Each domain acts as another potential result in the organic rankings. Start acquiring new domains with unique content associated with your brand. Get these domains optimised with brand keywords, quality links, and quality content. Once search engines index the new websites, they’ll start to rank them within the search results. This will enable to push down bad PR stories online as the new domains will start to feature at the top and your website can and should link to these new domains.
- Start blogging. A great way to increase your ranking and overcome bad online PR is to start blogging. Search engines love websites which frequently produce new content and a blog is the best way to achieve this. By creating a blog on a new domain, which can easily be linked to from your main website you are able to ensure that the bad PR links are being pushed down the pages.
Although it can take months to get a negative story off the first page, it is possible! The key is to keep creating new content which will feed search engines and users timely information and reduce the relevancy of the bad article, but it will also increase your online equity and brand presence!